Revised ASBA Policy JFB - Open Enrollment
The Avondale Elementary School District has reviewed the capacity and determined excess capacity based on the chart provided.
Schools will accept pupils throughout the school year as capacity allows. Pupils who are denied access due to capacity shall be informed that they are on a waitlist and will be notified when an opening occurs at the desired school site.
All schools shall continue to give open enrollment preference to and reserve capacity to pupils who meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Resident pupils
- Pupils returning to school from the prior year
- Siblings of pupils already enrolled
Enrollment Preference may be given to children who:
- Pupils who are in foster care
- Meet the definition of unaccompanied youth prescribed in the McKinney Vento Homeless Assistance Act
- Attend a school that is closing
All schools may give open enrollment preference to and reserve capacity for all of the following criteria:
- Pupils who are children of persons who are employed by the school or the district
- Resident Transfer Pupils and Siblings
- Governing Board Preferences
Please note the following:
- Capacity estimates for Kindergarten through 8th grade will be made available to the public by the beginning of each quarter on our school websites.
- Open enrollment will be approved based on capacity at a school site and capacity in a special program in which a student may be enrolled.
- If a school remains open as part of a boundary change and capacity is available, students assigned to a new attendance area may stay enrolled in their current school.
AESD School Speciality Program Focus:
- Centerra Mirage STEM Academy
- Copper Trails - Arts
- Desert Thunder - Dual Language (enrollment is adjusted based on Dual Language Program)
- Wildflower Accelerated Academy